I’m very pleased with this little project.
I’ve spent a long time lusting over pretty picnic rugs, and finally decided to make my own for this Spring and Summer.
It’s made from a vinyl topped table cloth (for waterproofing the back) and patchworked duck cloth.
This was an easy little project. The most time consuming part was hand stitching the binding. At a fairly slow pace, I knocked this project over in a week.
I bought this ‘beautiful’ tablecloth on ebay for $8. I figured it didn’t matter too much what it looked like, as you wouldn’t see it when the rug’s laid out anyway.
Here’s a glimpse at how the back ended up looking.
As per usual, I made far too much bias tape, so I sewed around the edges of the left overs, and then sewed the strip to the back of my picnic rug, to hold the rug together when it’s rolled up.
and here’s the finished product.